Sunday, June 26, 2011

A True Life Hero

I want to talk about a true life hero: My sister Elena.

Elena turns 64 this December.  She just graduated from college last month.  She did it with honors and made two honor societies.

Elena is a breast cancer survivor.  She was finishing up chemo when our mother died in 2006.  She's also a grandmother and, in the words of her husband, Bob, "one of the sweetest, kindest people who ever lived."

Today, Elena wrote the family a long description of her first 5K walk. Remember she's in her sixties. (Of course, our mother entered her first shotgun competition - fifty sporting clay targets - at age 72.)  I'm including most of it so you can enjoy the character and humor of my sister. 

Let me say this as kind as I can.  For those who don't know her, Elena is not an athlete. She works two jobs.  At both she's the most admired and loved individual you can imagine.  On weekends she works at a very famous Italian deli in the heart of Baltimore.  So use your imagination.  She's a grandmother who feeds people, all sorts of people.  Get the picture?  We - she and I - are not from a line of slight folks.  Our mother and grandmother before her were outstanding cooks and we reaped the benefits.  Now on with the story. 

                                          
Sunday, June 26: "I planned to participate in the Baltimore Women's Classic to attempt a 5K walk which equates to a little under 3.2 miles.  The timing was perfect, a Sunday and the weather was cooperating calling for no humidity.  Last night I went to bed disappointed because every family member was disappointed in me for planning to attend regardless of who could attend to be with me.  I was determined to carry out my goal.  However, as they say I listened to reason (which I many times interpret first as guilt before thinking things through) and heard that I let my family down by not letting them be there with me.  Also that no one would be there to pick me up and drag me to the curb if I fell. And figuring I would get lost in the city with my sense of direction. In  my defense, I will say sometimes everyone's delivery could be a bit gentler.

So I went to 7a.m. Mass as every Sunday, but I wore my tennis shoes, light weight pants and shirt because after mass I was going to beat the heat.  By 8:10 a.m. I was at the Liberty High School track with cell phone (for timing), water (for dehydration), and strawberries (for nourishment).  Since my memory does not serve me well when it comes to numbers, I figured if I completed each lane twice, I would cover 3 miles and not get confused and miscount. Believe it or not I can have a plan and structure once in awhile. 

Starting at Lanes 5 and 6, the furthest and longest, I completed them (4 trips around the track) in approximately 30 minutes accomplishing the first mile.  When I was rounding the track, I would look up to see if Vicki's (her daughter) car pulled up to surprise me and cheer me on.  Now, I didn't tell anyone I was doing this after Mass but I still hoped.  I pulled up to my water bottle took a swig, ate a strawberry and set off for the rest of my journey.

On my second mile, which were lanes 3 and 4, I decided this was more than I wanted to bite off.  By this time the sun was getting hotter and my body was telling me how I had abused it.  The first was the usual issue that Granny and I now share...  As I rounded the track, I looked for the nearest bathroom...  Then I thought about what homeless people go through and decided mind over matter.  It took a good two laps before my mind conquered most of my matter...  The homeless thoughts helped, I was sharing the track with three runners.  I saw a port-a-pot in the horizon, it was not a mirage.  However, I would never go in one anyway. I have trouble with gas stations let alone a box in the middle of a field.   Besides it was up a hill and I was struggling enough.  

Still looking for Vicki's car but now hoped to see Chris (No. 2 son) and family coming out of the neighborhood.  I even waved to some strange family.  Mile two accomplished and I gladly took in more water, a strawberry, and checked the clock just under an hour and I completed two miles.

 
Approaching 9 a.m. and mile three, lanes 1 and 2.  My big dilemma do I jump over to lane 1 as a reward or stick with lane two the longer stretch before moving to lane 1.  Also I remembered my runner courtesy and would watch the people I was sharing the track with down to 2 runners now.  I found as I turned to see their location I would be a bit clumsy and loose my footing into another lane.  I struggled with deciding if I should give up before I collapsed.  The good thing, I was breathing well but my knee was killing me.  Then I saw two bikers coming out of Chris' neighborhood.  I knew it was Chris and Hannah (granddaughter) out for a morning ride before they took off for the family outing and they were going to check if I was on the track.  Wrong again, but I never gave up the hope that one of my family would show up.
 
By now still struggling through mile 3, I was feeling pretty tired so I turned my thoughts to the kids.  How much I wanted to see everyone in Chicago, see Mac (grandson) at one of his games and that cute little mouth, Grayson (granddaughter) to say how proud I am that her sweetness is not wavered by peer pressure, and Robbie (grandson) who has grown into a man but always shows me how much he cares for me and wants to be with me.  I thought of how I had to get myself under control because I wanted to get in the pool with Nicholas (grandson) (even though he can out swim me even giving me a headstart) and play.  How I wanted to help Livi (granddaughter) and Drew (grandson) now that they love the water.  And Hannah I want to take her to one of the new movies out and share some of the girlie stuff. These kids need to help me get into todays world. My mind traveled to all my grown kids, Rob (No. 1 son), Amber (daughter-in-law), Chris, Michelle (Chris' wife), Vicki and Pete (Vicki's husband) and how they love to please me and how I selfishly do my own thing more than I should.  And then I thought of Bob and how he was going to yell at me for not telling him.  

Well guess what now I had completed 2 3/4 miles and I knew I could make it to finish three. 
 
As I was rounding the last 1/4 mile of the third mile, the sound of hundreds of crows (more properly ravens since she's in Baltimore area) in the trees was over powering.  I thought of the movie the "Birds" and wondered if they had come because like in a desert when someone is ready to keel over they had come to pick my bones.  They could have a very meaty treat.  Or did they sniff out my strawberries. I couldn't see but a couple but the entire flock was there.   I knew I couldn't run if they attacked.  The car was close but I still had another 1/4 mile to finish 3.25 miles.  

All the runners had left me, I was alone.  I made it -- three miles.  I could do it. I got another swig of water and a strawberry.  Now the track was mine to choose the lane of my choice and bring this venture home.  I choose lane two and staggered into three on occasion.
 
My feet were burning and my knee was aching all the way to the front of my shin but I could tell a smile was starting to form on my face.  I thought of the conversation I had with Hannah about my fantasy as I rounded to the finish line at a 5K.  How all the grandkids were cheering, and in my fantasy I fell but I picked myself up and the Rocky theme was playing as I passed the finish line.  We had both laughed but guess what I made it in my fantasy and now.  

I retrieved my water which took me an extra few steps over my 3.25 miles and actually limped off the track.  It  was like my body was telling me what I had put it through and was not forgiving.  

The last 1/4 mile the crows disappeared and only a few song birds were chirping.  And, I did do my stretching exercises between miles and at the end.
 
Off I went to fill up the gas tank for tomorrow, get to the bathroom, and get protein into me.  

So this is my story of my guilt for making my kids feel bad, my determination to find out if I could finish the race, and mythank you for being such a wonderful family that loves me unconditionally.  Thank you."

What Elena missed is that we owe her a resounding "Thank You" for being there for all of us.

She's endured more than most over the years and still approaches life with all the enthusiasm of an innocent.  

We have a lot to learn from her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment